Office Planning Services: What Is It and Why It Works
Moving offices or even conducting a revamp on your existing office space is an exciting – and often challenging activity. Not everyone is equipped with an eye for detail, or the technical know-how of how to maximise a small office space. The same can be said for being able to elegantly fill out a large space, without overcrowding.
That is why services such as office planning have becoming a booming industry of late; take the stress off yourself, and allow a professional to scope your space, consult with you to determine your personal style and ultimately fill out your office environment in a way that speaks to the vision of the company.
What Is Included in Office Planning?
Office planning is first conducted on paper; a detailed drawing (usually your floor plan of the new building) is required for the designers to work from. They usually have a telephonic or face-to-face brief with you – the client – to first and foremost understand your vision for the area.
Once the planner fully understands what type of culture and essence you want your office layout to provide, they get to work by segmenting your floor plan. They will reserve seating areas for guests, staff and managers as a first point. They conduct this in such a way that the maximum usage of any available space is capitalised on, and still allow for sufficient movement space and privacy for each employee.
The floor plans are an easy way for the planner to work effectively, off-site, and not require constant site visits which can be time consuming and costly for both parties.
Once the layouts are done, the furniture can be selected; the selection of the office furniture is usually a two-step process. First off, the planner will select the furniture they deem a good fit for the office – based off the initial brief between themselves and the client. Once the major selections are made, either a face-to-face meeting is required between the client and the planner – or a 3D rendering may be provided. A 3D rendering is a good way to see what colours and styles match in a realistic way – although this method of analysing a space still does not provide the customer with the true feel the office will have upon finalisation.
The planner will look at furniture items such as desks, workstations, chairs, filing cabinets, boardroom tables and chairs – basically all the “major” accessories any office would require.
The planner’s main objectives are to:
- Provide the client with the desired theme for their office space
- Source quality furniture that fits the description from the brief
- Find layouts that provide maximum usage of available space
- If not available, source items which the client specifically wants
What Is Not Included in Office Planning?
It would be great if we had a one-stop solution to planning and executing a fully furnished office space, but there are some factors that an office planner will leave out – unless you specifically ask them to include. The excluded services are often:
- Selection and installation of add-on products, like water coolers or coffee machines.
- Large appliances such as fridges or vending machine will need to be sourced from an external supplier.
- TV fittings; the location may be suggested by the office planner; however, procuring the TV set is your onus as the owner or tenant of the space.
- Curtains, railings, window tinting, air conditioning and lockable doors are also going to be excluded by the majority of office planners. An interior designer might be a good idea in this instance, if you, yourself, are not inclined to these types of things.
Who Offers Office Planning Services in Gauteng?
Below is a list of suppliers in Gauteng who offer this service:
- Zeebra – https://zeebra.co.za/services/space-planning/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ZXVt8yc1gIVh5PtCh1gRAo1EAAYASAAEgKQ0vD_BwE
- Workspace – https://workspacedesign.co.za/
- Setplan – https://www.setplan.co.za/
- Xtreme Interior – http://xtremeinterior.co.za/
- Upstart Office – http://upstartoffice.co.za/
- AXO Office Planning – http://www.axony.co.za/
- Infinitude Design – http://www.infinitude.co.za/
- Ixaxa Office Furniture – https://ixaxaoffice.co.za/services